Reflective Journal: Grammarly and RefWorks
Part 1: If you have not already done so, submit one of the written assignments you have drafted for this course (or any document that was written according to academic standards) to Grammarly to be reviewed for writing and style issues.
If you have not used Grammarly in the past, study The Grammarly Guide: How to Set Up & Use Grammarly (Links to an external site.) tutorial; then set up a Grammarly account, and use Grammarly to review a draft of your academic document.
Begin your journal entry by identifying three issues Grammarly uncovered in your work (e.g., wordiness, passive voice, subject-verb agreement) and excerpt some of the feedback Grammarly provided as explanations.
Then, integrate and cite the examples you provided to address the following questions:
- Was a piece of software able to identify errors and suggest revisions that might improve your writing?
- Did Grammarly suggest changes or modifications that were less than optimal and which you rejected?
- What do your responses to these first two questions imply about how to constructively process feedback from Grammarly?
- Was the experience of using Grammarly generally beneficial?
- Will you use Grammarly for future class assignments? Why or why not?
Part 2: Reflect on RefWorks, the online bibliographic management program available to you at Ashford University. Please review this guide from the Library on Creating a RefWork Account (Links to an external site.) if you do not already have an account. If you have not yet accessed RefWorks, do so now and try out some of its features before you address the following questions:
- Have you used RefWorks prior to this assignment? Based on that experience, if applicable, or on your current assessment of the tool, describe your thoughts concerning the usefulness of RefWorks. Does it help to keep resources organized? Which features of the tool do you find most helpful?
- Looking forward, how do you plan to use RefWorks for this class and for the duration of your doctoral journey?